Sunday 28 September 2014

Back to Back

I'm still shocked myself with how much I love watching footy since Aaron passed away.  I used to like it and would go along to the games, but now it's like Aaron's love of footy and especially Hawthorn has taken over me.

We were SO excited when Hawthorn got into the grand final last week, and couldn't help but laugh about how crazy it is that there have been three grand finals since Aaron passed away, and Hawthorn have bene in all three of them.  A lot of friends have been joking about how much of a pull Aaron must have up there.

Harri is so much like Aaron with his love for the footy.  He loves the lead up to the grand final with Brownlow, all the information about who has been selected in the teams and tells us all the stats about the teams and how many finals they've won all together, when it was the last time they won and who won the Norm Smith medal.  He was waiting all week for the grand final footy record to come out, and was so excited on Thursday morning to finally have it in his hands.
Jalen's school had their footy colours day this week, and let's just say he wasn't as thrilled about it as we were about our 'sports colours day'.   He just doesn't love footy like the rest of us.  He got into it by wearing his Hawks guernsey, but wasn't happy that they had to wear it over their school uniform.
Jay is the black sheep of the family when it comes to footy. He loves watching games live at the MCG, but doesn't really get into it like we do. He reminds me of what I was like before Aaron passed away.   I kind of knew a bit about the team and how they were going, and knew the bigger players in the team, but that was it.   Now I know exactly what's going on, and still can't believe that I know all the player's names. Aaron would be so impressed with me!

Mum and Dad came in for the weekend to watch the grand final with us, and we got in the mood by decorating the inside and outside of the house.  Kobe was so excited to put up posters in the lounge room.  It's just what Aaron would've done

Even Milly got in on the action. 

I wasn't very confident that Hawthorn could win two years in a row.  I knew they would put up a big fight, but thought that Sydney were going to beat us.  Kobe woke up yesterday morning and told me that he had a dream that it was Hawthorn 99, Sydney 0 and on the final siren Hodgey took a mark, and kicked a behind to win 100 to 0.   I joked on Facebook that Kobe had a premonition, but really didn't think we would even win it.

During the morning some friends dropped off these awesome cupcakes they made for us.  We loved them....except for the cheeky Swans one they slipped in!
We couldn't believe how well Hawthorn were playing, and that they were winning so much by at half time.  I still couldn't relax though because I just kept thinking Sydney would catch up and we would lose it.  It was good to get out at half time and rest my voice from all the screaming, and kick out some of the nervous energy.  Dad cracked me up because while we were walking out the door he said 'oh good, now I can relax a bit! Don't hurry back!'.
During the game I was getting a lot of messages from people, who were very excited for us that Hawthorn were playing so well.  Harri kept saying 'I wonder what Dad would be doing right now!?'.  I finally started to relax early in the last quarter, when I felt that Sydney couldn't catch up to us. 

It was so good when the final siren finally sounded!   We weren't sure that they could win back to back premierships, and never could've predicted that they would beat Sydney by 63 points.  I think I even heard Aaron cheering from Heaven! ;)   Last Saturday during family prayer Harri cracked us up because he prayed that Hawthorn would win the grand final and would win back to back premierships.  I couldn't help but burst out laughing and asked him after if Heavenly Father would really care about the football and if Hawthorn won, and he said 'of course he would!!!'. I guess He must barrack for the Hawks! ;)

Harri's teacher gave him this cardboard cup during the week, so he was so excited to write Hawthorn on it, when they won. 
We laughed about how Aaron would've gone to church today with all his Hawks gear on - socks, tie and probably even his guernsey under his suit jacket, so we decided to wear our Hawthorn scarves for him.  Harri put on his 2013 premiership medal on as well. 
I don't know this person that I am - getting so excited about a game of footy! I'm sure if Aaron was still here it would be a lot different, and I would probably be like Jay and would be happy just watching out of the corner of my eye.    I'm sure he's loving watching us get so into it, and it's nice to have something to love that makes us feel like Aaron is still close by.  

2 comments:

  1. It's so fun to see you rooting for the Hawks like Aaron would've. He must be so proud! :D That picture of Jay...he looks like a movie star just stepped out of a teen magazine or something. I didn't recognize him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he he, I bet Aaron LOVES what you have become.... you crazy footy woman!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...